Architecture of the mid XVI - beginning of the XVIII centuries
After the downfall of the Khanate the architecture in Kazan was crisis-ridden. Alongside with general devastation there took place destruction of the main religious sanctuaries, also a great part of mosques was rebuilt into churches. According to “Kazan history” tsar Ivan “seized the city of Kazan… and destroyed their idols and built churches of these places”, he ordered “to destroy filthy mosques and raise holy churches”.
The construction of the stone Kremlin began in 1556. For this purpose the government sent to Kazan 200 skilled workmen headed by Ivan Shiryay and Postnik Yakovlev. The latter also built Uspensky Cathedral in Sviyazhsk, and, according to some sources, St.Basil’s Cathedral as to memorize Kazan’s joining to Russia. During the erection Kremlin was enlarged on 120 meters.
Several parts of the Kremlin (to be exact Sujumbike Tower and Spasskaya Tower) and a number of churches were also built in the XVII century.